This fan brush works as a rake – just what you need for creating striations – for stripes, fur, feathers, Santa’s beard, mummy bandages and other cross-hatching and of course cat’s whiskers. When loaded with paint the bristles will become like a rake with distinct gaps – it’s like having a dozen tiny brushes in a row so you can create many parallel lines at once – fast and neat! The lines created by this brush will be thicker and further apart than the Loew Cornell Soft Rake which creates very fine lines close together from individual bristles.
This Rake Fan Brush is good for:
- parallel lines for cat’s whiskers, stripes, fabric fringe, basket-weave, cross-hatching and other striations
- feathery strokes that can be used to create fur, hair, feathers, grass, woodgrain, gauze bandage, fabric texture
- a streaky texture effect at the edges of butterfly wings
Tips for use:
- Do not overload with paint
- Some effects are achieved by using a dry rake brush across damp paint.
- Use light pressure to achieve delicate texture
- Vary how long you stay up on the tip of your chisel edge and rotate which side of the brush you put pressure on, to create turned effects
- Sweep the tip of the brush through a different colour to add colour variations
Features of this brush:
- Brand: Reno Art
- Brush Shape: fan
- Brush Size: #2
- Bristle Width: approx. 37 mm at widest point
- Bristle Length: approx. 20 mm
- Handle length: long
- Total brush length: approx. 29 cm
- Bristles: golden synthetic
- Handle: painted wood
- Ferrule: seamless, brass
Long handles such as this brush has may be favoured by artists who work on canvas but are less convenient for face painters as they are less likely to fit into the brush case of your choice. However, it would be easy to cut this thin, wooden handle down to a size that suits you.
As the bristles are synthetic, no animals were harmed for the production of these brushes.
Please Note: Photos of this brush may show the whole brush along with a close-up shot, and may show this brush alongside other brushes to compare it to others in the range. The listing is for one brush unless stated otherwise.
All measurements given are approximate.